Sunday, January 10, 2016

Samos Day 2

Samos Day 2 - January 10, 2016

We arrived at the port at 11am to head to the screening center camp to do assessments when we were met with an influx of arrivals.  It was pouring rain and the Swedish Coast Guard was ferrying passengers in via their rescue boat.  We had reports of dozens who spent time in the water but most were soaked through due to the rain.  By days end almost 900 refugees had come to the camp and several hundred more were brought to the screening center camp.  It was a long and exhausting day for everyone.




As soon as we arrived we went straight to work passing out ponchos and electrolyte drinks.  Children and babies who were not breastfed were provided with formula or milk.  Hot tea was made and passed out and assistance given to whoever we could.  It was a difficult task for all of us but what was most intriguing for me was the lack of titles or care for which NGO would do what, there was none of the  political posturing I have seen so much of lately but which seems to disappear when a crisis really hits.


After everyone was as settled as they could be, and before more boats arrived, we did manage to get to the screening center.  Like Moria camp it was a detention center prior to this use.  It is supposed to house 300 but often over 1000 are crammed into the accommodations.  It used to have running water and toilet facilities but that was broken during the height of summer and it is more to provide shelter than anything else.  Many people opt to sleep in tents on the tree lined hillside instead of inside. Children were running up and down the hill but surrounded by high walls and barbed wire it was not inviting.  Trash was piled everywhere and it was clearly a place only for those who had no where else to go.  The average stay there was approximately 1 week but sometimes longer.


I did find out that those assigned there were still ferried to Athens and then they would be either allowed to travel forward or sent back to their home country.  It is unlikely that any make it further than Athens since the rules have gotten stricter.

We did reach out immediately when we arrived and triaged and treated the best we could,  but we did not open the clinic at 2pm and the queue started immediately (Praxis was open all day so we did not need to have another clinic at the time).  Like the day before we saw just about everything but today we had several cases of mild hypothermia to add to the mix.  Lots of sick babies and even an injury to a  girl who fell when getting out of the boat and landed her hand directly on a sea urchin.  I turned the storage room into another clinic room and just started in with the women and saw children when I had the time.   By the time we were able to leave we were all exhausted, more so because the language barrier adds to the work load.  Thank goodness Linnea, the Danish nurse, speaks some Arabic.  I took her under my wing for a bit to teach her some skills  she will no doubt use while here. Another issue that came up for me personally is that the medication has European names and many were in Greek.  It took me a while to figure out the most common I ended up needing and slowed me down when I had to ask for something because I could not find it.  By days end I had lost count of how many people I personally saw and treated.

Memories:
The man with two broken legs which were filled with shrapnel due to bombs in Syria.  How he made the journey this far astounds me still.

The young pregnant woman who came in to have her baby checked and when I told her the baby sounded perfect she asked if I could tell her if it was a boy or a girl.  We all laughed when I said “One or the other.” It was lovely for me to have such sweetness during this heart wrenching day.

The woman who had spent 8 hours in her boat making the crossing and was so cold she could barely walk.  She fell into the water just as the Coast Guard was arriving due to the winds tipping the boat.  She was with her 5 month old grandson (who was fine).  When she left the clinic hours later she was warm and dry and kissed me hard on the cheek in thanks.

Making hard decisions on who we could see and who could wait until the morning clinic opened.  We did see all children and elderly and most men and women, but some of the mild concerns we needed to ask them to come back or go to Praxis in the morning.  It was not easy to do but we just could not see everyone and were assured all acute issues were dealt with.

The volunteer who came running in because he was concerned about a 10 year old child in the big tent.  I ran in to assess and the child was exhausted and traumatized.  He had been asleep but awoken vomiting and could barely stand.  When he stiffened and his eyes rolled back I had someone carry him quickly to the clinic.  He was physically fine but soaking wet and we could never determine his medical history (due to translators being elsewhere at the time).  I am hopeful the dry clothes we put on him and the hot food we gave him then sent him back to sleep were all he really needed.  But what he has been through at his age breaks my heart and when I think of my own children it is almost too much to bare.



No comments:

Post a Comment